Addicted Coffee Stout | American Stout
- 10.0 lb (4.54 kg) | two-row malt
- 1.25 lb (0.57 kg) | Munich malt
- 5.0 oz (142 g) | 45°L crystal malt
- 5.0 oz (142g) | 150°L crystal malt
- 4.0 oz (113 g) | roast barley
- 4.0 oz (113 g) | chocolate malt
- 4.0 oz (113 g) | black malt
- 4.0 oz (113 g) | Simpsons brown (coffee) malt
- 2.0 oz (57 g) | coarse ground coffee (steep 2 minutes at knockout or add toddy* [see below] to secondary)
- 0.25 oz (7 g) | Magnum, 14.5% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) | Crystal, 5% a.a. (30 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Crystal, 5% a.a. (0 min)
- White Labs 001 or Wyeast 1056
- Original Gravity: 1.070
- Final Gravity: n/a
- ABV: n/a
- IBU: 20
- SRM: 38
- Boil Time: n/a
- Efficiency: 75%
- Pre-boil Volume: n/a
- Pre-boil Gravity: n/a
- Mash at 151°F (66°C) for one hour.
- Ferment at 68°F (20°C) until finished.
- Replace pale two-row malt with 7.5 lb (3.4 kg) pale malt syrup and Munich Malt with 15 oz (425 g) Munich malt syrup.
- Steep the remaining grains in 160°F (71°C) water for half an hour. Strain, rinse grains, add extract and dissolve thoroughly.
- Proceed with boil. Increase 60 min addition of Magnum to 0.5 oz (14 g).
*Preparing a Coffee Toddy for this RecipeEquipment
1 quart jar with lid, sanitized
2 muslin sacks, or pantyhose
2 oz (57 g) of coffee ground to electric percolator (second from coarsest) setting on commercial coffee grinder
2 cups (473 mL) water
- Place ground coffee into the doubled muslin sack or pantyhose inside jar, then stretch around the outside of the jar.
- Fill with 1.5 cups (354 mL) cold water and put lid on tightly.
- Leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours. After 24 hours, open lid and lift out sack of coffee.
- Pour out the remaining coffee toddy, leaving behind the dregs (last coffee bean bits) behind.
- Add to secondary before transferring from your primary.
- If you only have a primary, put the toddy in before bottling, or if you keg, the Cornelius keg upon transfer.
- Important note: The ideal ratio of coffee to water is 1.0 oz (28 g) coffee to 8.0 fluid oz (237 ml) water.